|Event date||April 06, 2022 - April 11, 2022|
|Submission deadline||September 09, 2021|
|Host(s)||Orthodox Academy of Crete|
===CfA: Workshop “Logic(s) in Defective Science“===
When: 6-11 April, 2022
Where: Orthodox Academy of Crete, Crete, Greece.
Organizers: María del Rosario Martínez-Ordaz (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro) and Luis Felipe Bartolo-Alegre (National University of San Marcos)
Keynote speakers: Gerhard Schurz (Universität Düsseldorf), Michèle Friend (Université Lille Nord-Europe/The George Washington University) and Diderik Batens (Universiteit Gent).
Deadline for submitting abstracts: September 9, 2021
This workshop is devoted to exploring connections between non-classical logics and the rational use of defective information in the sciences, as well as the inferential practices in the sciences—particularly, those which make use of defective information.
The workshop welcomes formal and informal contributions on the different ways to explain and understand defective information in the sciences. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
● The problem of defective science from a logical standpoint.
● Rational reconstructions of non-classical scientific inference.
● Proposals for scientific inference from non-classical approaches.
● The role of logic(s) in scientific explanation.
● Applications of non-classical probability to scientific research.
● Studies on the pros and cons of classical vs non-classical approaches to science.
● Logical pluralistic vs monistic approaches to scientific reasoning.
● Non-classical approaches to epistemic paradoxes.
● Non-classical approaches in the understanding or reconstruction of scientific theories and laws.
● Non-classical forms of reasoning (e.g. non-monotonic) in scientific inference.
● The meaning or use of logical symbols (e.g. conditional, conjunction) in science.
● Classical and non-classical approaches for analyzing defective databases.
● Revisiting classical approaches in the handling of defective science.
One-page abstracts (plus references) should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line: “Submission for LDS” no later than September 9, 2021.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent by September 21, 2021.